Skip to main content

Translate

Day 18

Hey, it's Page Turner again, back for day18 in my countdown to Valentine's Day! Okay, so for the first time ever, I am going to have a short story on this blog. Yeah! Here it is! (P.S. I'm learning about cardiopulmonary resuscitation, CPR, right now, and it's Valentines Day...so hold on. It's going to be a bumpy ride!)
    Kelli walked out of the movie theater and into the crowded carpeted lobby, a crinkled bag of M&M's in one hand and her plastic 3D glasses in the other. Her best friend, (and boyfriend), John walked beside her, a mostly empty bucket of cold yellow popcorn in his hand. "That was amazing!" Kelli said, tossing the 3D glasses into the nearby bin. "The cinematography alone was incredible. It  was so sweet of you to take me to see the Sound of Music special in the theater--I haven't seen it in years! This has been the best Valentine's Day, John." John, usually talkative with Kelli, just gave a faltering smile. His face looked flushed and he swallowed hard. "What is it?" Kelli asked in concern, taking the popcorn bucket from him. John looked upset, and Kelli looked at him quizzically. "I shared my candy, John" she said, teasingly, hoping to lighten the mood, "The least you could do is share your popcorn." John shook his head, coughing. "Quick, Kelli," he gasped, scratching his arm that Kelli suddenly noticed was red, "I think I ate peanuts." Kelli blanched and grabbed his arm, quickly calling 9-11 as she rushed him to the main door of the lobby; an emergency center was only a few blocks away. Just as the dispatcher came on, however, John suddenly collapsed. "No!" Kelli cried, tossing the phone to a bystander waiting in the ticket line. "It's 9-11," she yelled, flipping John over. "My friend's going into anaphylactic shock!" The bystander began talking on the phone, but Kelli didn't notice as she frantically took John's pulse. His heart wasn't beating! Sweat poured down her face and her heart pounded so hard she was afraid she would need CPR as well. Please, God, she prayed, pressing her hands on John's chest and pumping, Please don't let him die! Pump, pump, pump. She worked frantically, trying to create an even rhythm. A crowd had soon formed and Kelli noticed that John's face had swelled. "Do we have a defibrillator?" Kelli cried, and a minute later she heard the sound of the metal case being ripped off the wall. A crowd pushed closer Kelli, as she continued CPR, praying between each pump at the verge of tears. Suddenly, she became aware of a screaming siren and the doors opened a minute later as EMTs rushed toward John and quickly but gently led Kelli to the side. The EMT standing in front of her took the crumpled M&M bag from her hands, and glanced at it. "It's definitely peanuts!" he called, and Kelli stared at the M&M bag, noticing for the first time away from the dark theater that they were peanut butter. She heard a doctor call out, 'clear' and although she couldn't see John past the large EMT asking her questions, re heard on of the responders report that his heart had begun again. "Thank you, Jesus," Kelli whispered in relief. "Thank you so much."
            Three shots, a series of tests, and few blood samples for John, plus four cups of hospital coffee for Kelli, things had calmed down a bit. Kelli sat in John's hospital room, perched on a stiff chair in the corner. John was sleeping on the bed; the doctors wanted to keep him for 48 hours for an more symptoms. John was going to be okay, they said, but both Kelli and her mom decided to stay with John's family in the hospital. Their parents were in the cafeteria and Kelli had a moment with John. Kelli looked at John, sleeping in the bed, surrounded by a sea of smooth white blankets. "I can feel you staring," he said. "John!" Kelli stood up. "Are you all right? I'm so sorry! I didn't know about the peanut butter in the candy, and I-" John smiled and opened his eyes. "I'm fine, and don't worry about it. Plus, I bought the candy, remember? I'm just surprised I didn't notice the peanut butter taste." Kelli quickly walked over to his bed side table pouring him a glass of water. "And I was to distracted to notice," she said, blushing. John suddenly smiled, and he tried to sit up. "Wait, what is it?" Kelli asked, "I'll get it." John gestured to the table, and Kelli noticed a flash of pink. She pulled out a pretty pink Hallmark valentine from underneath a stack of medical reports. It had a picture of a small red heart on the front. She opened it and read, "I love you, Kelli! You mean so much to me and I hope I never have to live life without you. Love, John. The Hallmark greeting read, "You make my heart skip a beat." She stared at John, frozen. Then she laughed, and John joined in, laughing so hard until a nurse came in to check on them. After the nurse left, Kelli gazed at her boyfriend, her best friend for what she hope was life. "I love you too, John."
                                                            THE END
 Well, for my one of my first attempts at blog short story, I've got admit that it's pretty sappy. --Wait let me read it again--. Wow that's really sappy. Well, I worked hard, so deal with it :).  But maybe I'll write more about Kelli and John and their adventures later, or maybe I'll create a web series about different characters. Either way, thanks for reading! I've learned a lot about CPR in the past few days, and it reminded me of Valentine's Day because, well, hearts a strong motif for this love centered holiday. God has started our dead hearts, and made us alive again, so we can enjoy a relationship with Him. He is amazing! So remember God's love when you see a Valentine's Day heart, read a super sappy story,  or eat chocolate! (Sorry, me with the chocolate again). Bye, guys!
                                                                   <3 page turner   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gilligan: the Mind Reader

I love the show "Gilligan's Island." In this old TV comedy, seven castaways are stranded on an island and are constantly looking for a way off--but poor, awkward Gilligan always messes it up. Once on the show, Gilligan finds a bush with beans that enable him to read others minds. How cool would that be! I mean, forget conversation barriers, awkwardness, finding the right words to say, etc, etc. Or is it? By the end of the show, the entire group was pitted against each other, for everyone could read each others thoughts. Thoughts are supposed to be hidden from others. Even though we are supposed to take every thought captive to Christ, I know I struggle. Ugly things pop into our minds--who would want to see that?  In science fiction, mind reading has always been seen as fascinating, bizarre, and a gift. In Gilligan's Island, the Professor admits that he thought it would create world peace. Hah. But the truth is, Someone knows every thought you've ever thunk, and w

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas! Hi, I'm Paige Turner, and I'm back for the Christmas season. I'm looking forward to writing more on my blog and also celebrating one of my favorite times of the year! Christmas can be an exciting, cozy, comforting time, but it can also be filled with stress, doubt, and sadness as we think of those we miss. Wherever you are this Christmas season, I pray that you'll find peace in our Savior--something that we all need to be reminded of, including me. :) Christmas can also be an exciting time, full of joy--even during stress and sadness, a deeper kind of joy--about Jesus, our Healer and King.I'm looking forward to celebrating love, family (while eating some delicious food), but most importantly, Jesus, Immanuel, which means, "God with us." Merry Christmas!                                                                                     See you soon,                                                                                          

No Strings Attatched

"I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me fret, to make me frown!" sang little Pinocchio as he danced glibly around the stage, string-less and worry-less, as the other puppets look sadly on, connected by strings like true marionettes. Maybe you recognize this scene from the 1945 Disney Pinocchio movie. For some reason, that made me think about our strings. I think we pride ourselves to be like Pinocchio: chipper, happy, and totally independent (although not quite as wooden.) Well, in reality, we are totally dependent on God. Our talents, our future, our past, our present, and our circumstances are all in the hand's of God. Sure, our decisions change things, but God's in control; nothing we do happens without Him planning it. Good grief, we don't even control our body! You can't tell your cells to burn glucose to give you energy, or your heart to beat, or your stomach juices to digest the food. (Say it with me, eww . Very good.) But God looks after u

Followers