Skip to main content

Translate

24 Day Countdown (Until Valentine's Day!)

Hey, Page Turner here! Valentine's day is so soon! I don't know about you, but Valentine's Day is kind of a big deal on the pageturner411 blog. Flowers, roses, sappy phrases, and even sappier Hallmark movies! I mean, I've heard that Valentine's Day is a scam, created by the greeting card company in cahoots with the candy stores. I've also heard its about St. Valentine--I'm still a little fuzzy on the story. There's a ton of variations. Even with all of the uncertainties surrounding Valentine's Day, it's a great day to share God's love to others. Valentine's Day is ultimately about God. God is love, and He is the one who gave the greatest gift of love: His son who offers redemption and forgiveness. Love to each other is showing our friends Christ. And I think the sweetest part of marriage is when you can follow the Lord together. So find someone, tell them you love them, and eat lots, and lots of chocolate. Here's a couple lovely pieces of Valentine's Day trivia...
        1. On February 14th in Japan, women give men gifts. On March 14th, known as White Day, the men return the favor with gifts like white chocolate and flowers.
       2. Friends and family to not usually get each other gifts for Valentine's Day in Italy.
        Just in the U.S....
      3. $448 million spent on candy the Valentine's Day week
      4. $8.6 million for sparkling wine for Valentine's Day
      5. 58 million pounds of chocolate each year
      6.  36 million heart-shaped boxes
      7. Men spend about 150 dollars, and women about 75 for gifts.
      8. 62% of adults say they celebrate Valentine's Day
      9. 23% say they buy flowers for Valentine's Day
     10. Europe embraces exchanging Valentine's in 1600s.
           I got most of these facts from www.history.org if you want to check out more! Have a lovely Valentine's Day and remember that God is always with you, and that He loves you. I gotta go...I have a bag of chocolate to get through and a lot of paper to cut before Feb. 14!
                                                                                           <3 page turner
                                                                                                                       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gilligan: the Mind Reader

I love the show "Gilligan's Island." In this old TV comedy, seven castaways are stranded on an island and are constantly looking for a way off--but poor, awkward Gilligan always messes it up. Once on the show, Gilligan finds a bush with beans that enable him to read others minds. How cool would that be! I mean, forget conversation barriers, awkwardness, finding the right words to say, etc, etc. Or is it? By the end of the show, the entire group was pitted against each other, for everyone could read each others thoughts. Thoughts are supposed to be hidden from others. Even though we are supposed to take every thought captive to Christ, I know I struggle. Ugly things pop into our minds--who would want to see that?  In science fiction, mind reading has always been seen as fascinating, bizarre, and a gift. In Gilligan's Island, the Professor admits that he thought it would create world peace. Hah. But the truth is, Someone knows every thought you've ever thunk, and w

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas! Hi, I'm Paige Turner, and I'm back for the Christmas season. I'm looking forward to writing more on my blog and also celebrating one of my favorite times of the year! Christmas can be an exciting, cozy, comforting time, but it can also be filled with stress, doubt, and sadness as we think of those we miss. Wherever you are this Christmas season, I pray that you'll find peace in our Savior--something that we all need to be reminded of, including me. :) Christmas can also be an exciting time, full of joy--even during stress and sadness, a deeper kind of joy--about Jesus, our Healer and King.I'm looking forward to celebrating love, family (while eating some delicious food), but most importantly, Jesus, Immanuel, which means, "God with us." Merry Christmas!                                                                                     See you soon,                                                                                          

No Strings Attatched

"I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me fret, to make me frown!" sang little Pinocchio as he danced glibly around the stage, string-less and worry-less, as the other puppets look sadly on, connected by strings like true marionettes. Maybe you recognize this scene from the 1945 Disney Pinocchio movie. For some reason, that made me think about our strings. I think we pride ourselves to be like Pinocchio: chipper, happy, and totally independent (although not quite as wooden.) Well, in reality, we are totally dependent on God. Our talents, our future, our past, our present, and our circumstances are all in the hand's of God. Sure, our decisions change things, but God's in control; nothing we do happens without Him planning it. Good grief, we don't even control our body! You can't tell your cells to burn glucose to give you energy, or your heart to beat, or your stomach juices to digest the food. (Say it with me, eww . Very good.) But God looks after u

Followers