Skip to main content

Translate

I've Lost Count of Days...Technically Day 10

Hey, Page Turner again! I haven't exactly been consistent in my Valentine's Day Countdown, but I got a cold. And it's my blog. :) Anyway, I just noticed there are a lot  of holidays in February. You've got Nation Freedom Day, Groundhog Day, Family Day, Chinese New Year, Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday, Valentine's Day, and Presidents Day. Yikes! And there aren't any in January! Oh, you also have the Super Bowl, a day all its own in the hearts of Americans. You have your football lovers, your football haters, and your commercial fans. I happen to be a commercial fan. Oh, I'm all for the gathering around the TV, eating nachos and mac n cheese, and spearing paint in intimidating bars across your face, but when it comes to actually watching the game, I'm not as interested. That's why there's commercials! The best commercials this year were the Prius, the Dorito, and the GPS locating device for a car. In the Prius, a band of goofy and seemingly friends run out of a bank...with a big sack of money. These not so bright robbers spot a nearby Prius as their nearby getaway car...and pay for it with the money they just stole from the bank. They zip away, and to the astonishment of all, the Prius actually drives fast. Wow! The news spreads across the bewildered nation, and clubs of Prius fans unite, even as the police chase the would-be robbers across America. Cracks are made at the Prius, and it's a funny commercial. In the GPS one, a dad let's his daughter go on a date with this guy. He hands the guy the keys to the car and is polite in cordial. After they leave, the dad locates them on the GPS, secretly crashing everything they do and (unbeknownst to his daughter) terrorizing and hilariously threatening the boyfriend. The Dorrito commercial, although perhaps unintentionally, has sparked the interest by prolife and prochoice groups. In it, a mom is lying in a hospital bed, an image of her baby on the ultrasound beside her. The husband is eating Dorrito's sloppily beside her. The baby notices it, and the ultrasound shows the child trying to get to the snack. Irritated at his lack of caring, she grabs the chip from his hand and throws it across the room. A second later, the baby is born, diving after the chip. Many prochoice people are angry that they let the fetus be humanized, and prolife people applaud the truth that a baby within the womb, no matter what stage, is human. I definitely and whole-heartedly believe that a fetus or an embryo or whatever anyone calls it, is a baby. I also believe that we need to take a stand against abortion, but not hate those are prochoice, but desire their salvation and that they would learn the truth. Human life is valuable, and we should do all we can to protect it, and I'm very glad that Dorito showed the funny video. I'm also glad that Payton Manning won!!!!! (See, I did pay a little attention!) The Panthers will get 'em next year, and I'll probably still only watch the commercials. So this ends my Super Bowl/Somewhat Valentine's Day post! Even though I don't like football as much as the next, I still enjoy spending time with my family. And, as the Disney blog points out, you can still celebrate something else, like owls, on SuperB owl Sunday!
                                                                                                                 <3 page turner 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas! Hi, I'm Paige Turner, and I'm back for the Christmas season. I'm looking forward to writing more on my blog and also celebrating one of my favorite times of the year! Christmas can be an exciting, cozy, comforting time, but it can also be filled with stress, doubt, and sadness as we think of those we miss. Wherever you are this Christmas season, I pray that you'll find peace in our Savior--something that we all need to be reminded of, including me. :) Christmas can also be an exciting time, full of joy--even during stress and sadness, a deeper kind of joy--about Jesus, our Healer and King.I'm looking forward to celebrating love, family (while eating some delicious food), but most importantly, Jesus, Immanuel, which means, "God with us." Merry Christmas!                                                                                     See you soon,                                                                                          

Gilligan: the Mind Reader

I love the show "Gilligan's Island." In this old TV comedy, seven castaways are stranded on an island and are constantly looking for a way off--but poor, awkward Gilligan always messes it up. Once on the show, Gilligan finds a bush with beans that enable him to read others minds. How cool would that be! I mean, forget conversation barriers, awkwardness, finding the right words to say, etc, etc. Or is it? By the end of the show, the entire group was pitted against each other, for everyone could read each others thoughts. Thoughts are supposed to be hidden from others. Even though we are supposed to take every thought captive to Christ, I know I struggle. Ugly things pop into our minds--who would want to see that?  In science fiction, mind reading has always been seen as fascinating, bizarre, and a gift. In Gilligan's Island, the Professor admits that he thought it would create world peace. Hah. But the truth is, Someone knows every thought you've ever thunk, and w

No Strings Attatched

"I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me fret, to make me frown!" sang little Pinocchio as he danced glibly around the stage, string-less and worry-less, as the other puppets look sadly on, connected by strings like true marionettes. Maybe you recognize this scene from the 1945 Disney Pinocchio movie. For some reason, that made me think about our strings. I think we pride ourselves to be like Pinocchio: chipper, happy, and totally independent (although not quite as wooden.) Well, in reality, we are totally dependent on God. Our talents, our future, our past, our present, and our circumstances are all in the hand's of God. Sure, our decisions change things, but God's in control; nothing we do happens without Him planning it. Good grief, we don't even control our body! You can't tell your cells to burn glucose to give you energy, or your heart to beat, or your stomach juices to digest the food. (Say it with me, eww . Very good.) But God looks after u

Followers