Skip to main content

Translate

The Axioms of Writing

Hi, Page Turner here! Whew! I made it through Monday. I've always liked Tuesdays, so hopefully today's going to be a good day! I was categorizing my post and realized I have very few posts about writing, so I'm going to write about writing, if that's all write. Here we go!
          Okay, so writing's one of my favorite things to do. God's given me a love for writing, but it's not always easy. I did find there's a couple of axioms in writing, though. For anyone who's ever written any fiction, they'll know this is true.
 1. When you write fiction, the characters seem to grow by themselves. You begin writing, and you've got a couple basic traits for this person, but as you write, you get to know them better as your imagination kicks in. As you're writing, inspiration can hit and you're left with a more few characters than you started with, and characters that are more real than when you began!
2. When you write, it's kind of like reading. Okay, at least for me. When you read, it kind of flows in your mind. It's really cool, because the main character is narrating it. When you write, it's like you pretend to be that character. You have to use your imagination and get in the character's head, then tell the story like the character would. It can be kind of tough, though, because in real life, you'd tell a story different than you're friend or sibling would. You have to know your character and how they would describe something, or explain something, or process an event.
3. You can get really attached to the characters. When you make up characters, they become real to you, like when you read. Also, as you write the story, it's your job to make the audience get to know them, too. As a writer, I have to remember that my characters are just story book characters and that I live among people that are real, people that God loves. It's fun to read or write and like the characters, but God's put us on the earth with other people that He wants us to love. Can't be hermit my whole life!
4. If you've ever swapped stories with another writer, it can get heated. I'm doing that right now. It's fun, because we can encourage one another and give each other tips. As it turns out, each of us have gotten attached to the others characters. It's fun to barter for characters' lives....
5. Making a good story plot can be difficult. It's hard to get timing right (too long or too short), to understand how to bridge sections, and when to leave out details and let the reader do the imagining. Writing takes practice (but it's super fun.)
6. Emotions are present. You know how, when you read a book, you get emotional? Same for writing....
       Anyway, there are the Axioms of Writing. Reading books and watching movies can get in the into our lives and can affect the way we think, speak, or act. There are a lot of famous books, from Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Black Beauty, to the Hunger Games. Movies and books really do affect us, and it's important that we only let our eyes see the good stuff. Everything we do should glorify God, and hopefully increase our desire for Him. Make sure you read---or write---the right stuff! God's amazing, and has given us awesome brains. I mean, how else could someone come up with a story, unless they were first created by God? Any talent anyone has is totally a gift from God. I pray that God will help me use my writing to glorify Jesus, and help others know Him more. Page Turner, over and out!
                                                                                              ----page turner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gilligan: the Mind Reader

I love the show "Gilligan's Island." In this old TV comedy, seven castaways are stranded on an island and are constantly looking for a way off--but poor, awkward Gilligan always messes it up. Once on the show, Gilligan finds a bush with beans that enable him to read others minds. How cool would that be! I mean, forget conversation barriers, awkwardness, finding the right words to say, etc, etc. Or is it? By the end of the show, the entire group was pitted against each other, for everyone could read each others thoughts. Thoughts are supposed to be hidden from others. Even though we are supposed to take every thought captive to Christ, I know I struggle. Ugly things pop into our minds--who would want to see that?  In science fiction, mind reading has always been seen as fascinating, bizarre, and a gift. In Gilligan's Island, the Professor admits that he thought it would create world peace. Hah. But the truth is, Someone knows every thought you've ever thunk, and w

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas! Hi, I'm Paige Turner, and I'm back for the Christmas season. I'm looking forward to writing more on my blog and also celebrating one of my favorite times of the year! Christmas can be an exciting, cozy, comforting time, but it can also be filled with stress, doubt, and sadness as we think of those we miss. Wherever you are this Christmas season, I pray that you'll find peace in our Savior--something that we all need to be reminded of, including me. :) Christmas can also be an exciting time, full of joy--even during stress and sadness, a deeper kind of joy--about Jesus, our Healer and King.I'm looking forward to celebrating love, family (while eating some delicious food), but most importantly, Jesus, Immanuel, which means, "God with us." Merry Christmas!                                                                                     See you soon,                                                                                          

No Strings Attatched

"I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me fret, to make me frown!" sang little Pinocchio as he danced glibly around the stage, string-less and worry-less, as the other puppets look sadly on, connected by strings like true marionettes. Maybe you recognize this scene from the 1945 Disney Pinocchio movie. For some reason, that made me think about our strings. I think we pride ourselves to be like Pinocchio: chipper, happy, and totally independent (although not quite as wooden.) Well, in reality, we are totally dependent on God. Our talents, our future, our past, our present, and our circumstances are all in the hand's of God. Sure, our decisions change things, but God's in control; nothing we do happens without Him planning it. Good grief, we don't even control our body! You can't tell your cells to burn glucose to give you energy, or your heart to beat, or your stomach juices to digest the food. (Say it with me, eww . Very good.) But God looks after u

Followers