Skip to main content

Translate

Social Media: r u jk?

Hi, guys! Page Turner here! I've started school this week! Yeah! And not so yeah!
 Today was totally hectic, and I rushed to and from my classes. I got to meet some people I've never seen before, and hopefully I'll get to know them better this week!
 One of my classes talked some about the destructive things that can happen through social media.
....Hmm....
 Okay, so if you're reading this, chances are you're using Internet. If you're not, please send me your secret so I can learn how to write a post without WiFi!
 Anyway, things like emails, Facebook, Instagram, Snap Chat, and Pinterest, and, yes, Pokemon Go, all count as social media. I've gotta vent now!
 My class said that the average teen spends 7 hours of their day on social media! Think about this!
  •  You're spending 420 minutes on social media. Spending 420 minutes a day you could read...
  • You could finish Pride and Prejudice...IN A DAY
  • You could read the Odyssey...IN A DAY 
  • You could read Jane Eyre in little over....A DAY
  • You could read the Hunger Games in less than... TWO DAYS
  • You could read the entire Lord of the Rings series in less than FOUR DAYS
  • You could read the Bible...IN A WEEK
          WOW! And that's only reading! What else could we accomplish?
    Now, I'm not saying that we should never do social media. But it's really sad that people are wasting time---and we have a ton of "friends", but getting real friends are getting harder.
    Social media gets you a lot of followers and happy people--or angry people--and this can change our mood. We think that social media=the world and what the world thinks of us=is most important. When nobody likes something, or comments, I feel hurt, like nobody notices me. Or, when they do, the short comments just make me feel frustrated and I want to write and share more. Or when my email inbox is continually empty--it makes me feel like not a lot of people want to write me or think about me.
      Whew! But isn't that how we think when we post? Our worth is what the world thinks--or so we think. (You tracking :)
     But God says something else. He says that He loves us. He says that no matter how many people like us or are our friends, He is God. He made us, and we are His creation.
      He offered his Son for us. As believers, Christ bought us with His precious blood. And for the unbeliever, He offers a new life in Him. His blood covers us--and isn't that far better than someone "liking" our posts or whatever? Isn't what the God of the universe, the Lord of all creation, our Savior, think of us the most important? He adopted me. (WOW)
     Of course, it's easy to forget that. And others forget that too.
    Social media is great for a lot of things--communication, inspiration, and creativity. But we start to loose our emotions, cyber bullying rages, and it's hard to connect with people.
     Well, sometimes people forget that their Father loves them, and others don't even know He exists! Sometimes your friends have a bad day, or a bad month, or is struggling in their faith. That's something you can't talk about on Snapchat, or even email--and it might be something that you don't notice if you're on the phone.
     I'm not trying to say that all social media is bad! But sometimes, we use it too much, at the cost of our relationship with God, and how we serve Him. It's easy to forget how the eternal is going to be affected as we focus on the temporal through our phones. I can attest to this!!!
     
    Loosing some time (hours) on social media is hard. Spending time with God and following Him is hard. But He gives us the Holy Spirit to help us. Praise God! He gives us the power to love and follow Him, which amazing! God is amazing!
     So get your schedule in order on your phone, check your email, and answer that important text, then put down your phone and spend some time with God, and tell your friends about Him--Facebook friends or not!
     And enjoy your 420 minutes off the grid each day! I hope you have a great week!
            (By the way, my homework was no social media for the week, so see you next Wedsnesday!)
                    Have a great week, read ALL of the books mentioned above ;) just kidding, and have fun ya'll! Page Turner, over and out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gilligan: the Mind Reader

I love the show "Gilligan's Island." In this old TV comedy, seven castaways are stranded on an island and are constantly looking for a way off--but poor, awkward Gilligan always messes it up. Once on the show, Gilligan finds a bush with beans that enable him to read others minds. How cool would that be! I mean, forget conversation barriers, awkwardness, finding the right words to say, etc, etc. Or is it? By the end of the show, the entire group was pitted against each other, for everyone could read each others thoughts. Thoughts are supposed to be hidden from others. Even though we are supposed to take every thought captive to Christ, I know I struggle. Ugly things pop into our minds--who would want to see that?  In science fiction, mind reading has always been seen as fascinating, bizarre, and a gift. In Gilligan's Island, the Professor admits that he thought it would create world peace. Hah. But the truth is, Someone knows every thought you've ever thunk, and w

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas! Hi, I'm Paige Turner, and I'm back for the Christmas season. I'm looking forward to writing more on my blog and also celebrating one of my favorite times of the year! Christmas can be an exciting, cozy, comforting time, but it can also be filled with stress, doubt, and sadness as we think of those we miss. Wherever you are this Christmas season, I pray that you'll find peace in our Savior--something that we all need to be reminded of, including me. :) Christmas can also be an exciting time, full of joy--even during stress and sadness, a deeper kind of joy--about Jesus, our Healer and King.I'm looking forward to celebrating love, family (while eating some delicious food), but most importantly, Jesus, Immanuel, which means, "God with us." Merry Christmas!                                                                                     See you soon,                                                                                          

No Strings Attatched

"I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me fret, to make me frown!" sang little Pinocchio as he danced glibly around the stage, string-less and worry-less, as the other puppets look sadly on, connected by strings like true marionettes. Maybe you recognize this scene from the 1945 Disney Pinocchio movie. For some reason, that made me think about our strings. I think we pride ourselves to be like Pinocchio: chipper, happy, and totally independent (although not quite as wooden.) Well, in reality, we are totally dependent on God. Our talents, our future, our past, our present, and our circumstances are all in the hand's of God. Sure, our decisions change things, but God's in control; nothing we do happens without Him planning it. Good grief, we don't even control our body! You can't tell your cells to burn glucose to give you energy, or your heart to beat, or your stomach juices to digest the food. (Say it with me, eww . Very good.) But God looks after u

Followers